Laurel Garden Club Presidents
Julia Kozak 1956 Marilyn Striepeck 1995-1996
Mrs Harold Breed 1957-1958 Lois Farrell 1997-1998
Helen Parris 1959-1960 Karen Fritz 1999-2000
Marion Grzywinski 1961 Rosemary Gallagher 2001
Mrs Clyde Coccia 1962 Karen Fritz 2002-2003
Mrs Harry Bohn 1962-1963 Antonella Hlavac 2004-2005
Olive Bareihs 1964 Fred Majors 2006-2007 Marion Gormaley 1965 Donna Wood 2008-2010
Elverna Wilson 1966 Richard Genova 2011-2014
Frank Yablonski 1967-1968 Carla Preate 2015
Marion Grzywinski 1969-1970
Beatrice Goerlitz 1971-1972
Williaqm Myers 1973-1974
Julia Bonk 1975-1976
Helen Savage 1977-1978
Keith Harvey 1979-1980
Ruth Harvey 1981-1982
Carolyn Holty 1983-1984
Helen Gialanelli 1985-1986
Annette McAndrew 1987-1988
Gail Prymrock 1989-1990
Sally Robertson 1991-1992
Nadine Wright 1993
Elaine Straka 1994
The Club was founded and presided over by Julia Kozak with the first meeting held in her home on July 17, 1956. Founding member were: Carol Bohn, Lillian Bohn, Ada Breed, Marion Haarmeyer Majernick, Mrs. Russell Shorten, Mrs. Carl Widmer, and Eleanor Williams. Originally called The Scranton Garden Club, the name was later changed to the Laurel Garden Club in honor of Pennsylvania's State Flower, the Mountain Laurel. Meetings were originally held in the YWCA and then later changed to The Tripp House in 1986.
Currently meetings are held on the first Thursday of every month at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 232 Wyoming Ave, Scranton.
Membership consists of over 100 avid gardeners, both men and women of all ages. New members are always welcomed!
Our meetings have included many wonderful guest speakers over the years and monthly member floral competitions. The Annual Plant Auction takes place every June. A highlight is the Summer garden tours of members' homes. We have sponsored many Club excursions over the years, including the Philadelphia Flower Show, Longwood Gardens, New York Botanical Gardens, New York Flower Show, Montreal International Flower Show, Winterthur and Dupont Gardens, Ladew Gardens, Sterling Forest Gardens, and Morris Arboretum at the University of Pennsylvania.
The Club has been involved in the community projects in the following ways: